- Jul 19, 2021
- 0 Comment(s)
Why You Should Be Swimming for the Best Full-Body Workout, No Matter What Your Age
Remember those hot days of summer when you couldn’t wait for the school year to end so you could jump into a cool, refreshing pool?
It turns out, you were gearing yourself up to enjoy the number one best full-body workout.
It can be difficult to find the motivation to exercise in the heat of summer. But swimming is a workout that will keep you cool and at the same time, make you fit. Swimming is simply the best full-body workout and the perfect activity for this season of hot weather.
7 Reasons Why You Should Be in the Pool
No matter what your fitness level, the advantages of swimming are extraordinary. Swimming has enormous health benefits, it carries a lot smaller chance of injury than other outdoor exercises, and it is a beneficial life skill. Most of all, swimming is fun!
But in case you still need convincing, here are the top benefits of swimming to show you there is no such thing as being too cool for the pool.
Full Body Workout. Swimming uses all the muscles in the body. It not only engages your legs, but also engages your upper body and core. So, whether you swim a gentle breaststroke or hammer butterfly, you will get all the benefits of a full-body workout.
Science shows us that water-based exercise delivers full-body resistance that is 12 to 14 times greater than air. In other words, swimming can make your body work harder than doing a similar activity on land without making you feel exhausted.
- No Impact Exercise. You can get a fabulous cardio workout in the pool with little or no impact on your joints. Water supports up to 90 percent of the body’s weight. So, if you are a weekend warrior that overdid it, or if you have aches and pains, or even if you are overweight, swimming is a brilliant way to stay active. No wonder so many athletes use the pool to recover from an injury.
Live Longer. There is stunning published science that shows swimmers had up to 53 percent lower mortality (death) risk than people who were walkers or even runners or led a sedentary lifestyle. And the health benefits don’t stop there.
Over 45 percent of adults suffer from high blood pressure, and data shows that getting active in the water may help. Swimming was found to help lower blood pressure, even in overweight individuals.
- Breather Easier. The lungs and breathing capacity can also really benefit from this sport. Researchers discovered that swimmers tend to have stronger lungs than other athletes and regular swimming can help increase lung capacity and improve breathing control. After this past year, we all realize how important our respiratory health is to our overall well-being.
- A Positive Perspective. A positive mental outlook can be enhanced by getting in the water. Swimming can lower stress levels, reduce anxiety and depression, and as a regular exercise, it can improve your sleep (and these days, we could all use a little more shut-eye).You don’t need to be an Olympic athlete to get the mental benefits of swimming. All it takes is just a light swim. Do it with friends, and it’s even more fun and you’ll soon notice that swimming is pure joy.
Calorie Burn. Swimming isn’t only a great way to cool off on a hot day, it’s also one of the best activities to lose weight, tone, and slim your entire body. Harvard Medical School estimates that with 30 minutes of easy “recreational” swimming you can burn almost double the calories from walking.
And a faster swim will burn more than running or cycling because the water creates extra resistance, forcing you to use your muscles more. As a result, it doesn’t take long to reap the fat-burning benefits of swimming. Here is the proof:
- Research showed a loss of body fat swimming for just 60 minutes three times a week. That may seem like a long time to do the freestyle stroke in the pool, but once you start gliding through the water (a little at a time), you’ll be surprised how quickly the time goes by
- The results found that swimming also helps boost endurance and improve flexibility
- Swimming helps with belly fat, too, as shown in a study of people who shed more fat around their waists and hips compared to those who walked three times a week
- Swimming helps with overall muscle definition and by building more muscles, the body burns more calories
Use this calorie calculator to see just how many calories you are burning when you take the plunge.
- Exercising Without the Sweat. If sweating puts you off other forms of exercise, fear not!As a swimmer, you’ll never feel sweaty no matter how hard you work because the water around you is constantly cooling you down.
No Laps Required
But it is not just about doing laps.
If you’re swimming to lose weight and tone up but dread the idea of lap swimming, there are great other options.
Have you ever heard of pool-running? Walking or running in the shallow end of A pool is an amazing way to tone your thighs since fighting against the water’s resistance is no easy task. Or for more intensity, use a low-cost floatation belt and bicycle in place in the deep end. You can also grab a kickboard to strengthen your legs.
To firm up your upper body, perform bicep curls and other arm exercises with water dumbbells. The water creates extra resistance, which builds strength and endurance.
The Super Powers of Swimming
Swimming is a complete and full-body workout that can burn calories, tone muscles, and improve overall health and fitness. It is an activity that can provide an excellent workout that can be done by almost anyone, no matter what age or fitness level.
There are community pools, pools at colleges, or you can jump in the ocean or a lake. Swimming is a healthy, low-impact activity that you can continue for a lifetime. There are no other sports equally tough on your upper body and your lower body while being gentle on joints. It’s time to jump in for the best full-body workout while having some fun and staying cool.
And if you need a little energy boost, NutraPrice can help out. Use NutraPrice Pure Energy Formula to naturally enhance your workouts and give you that kick you need to keep going strong throughout the day.